Nov 6, 2009

Halloween Filipino Style!


This year we had a fabulous Halloween. The kids both decided on their costumes all on their own. Jax had been saying for a couple of months that he wanted to be a bat. Not Batman, a BAT! Finding a costume proved to be impossible. Everything was so ugly. So I resorted to making one. I found an idea on line and decided to try it. I used a black umbrella to make the wings. Basically cut it in half, removed lots of wires and sewed it to the arms of his clothes. I couldn't find a plain long sleeve black shirt here anywhere, so I bought a woman's dress and made it into a jumpsuit. He looked so funny and cute in it. And all the dress cost me was 2 dollars. I spent a total of $9 on his costume.

Gabby wanted to be Tinkerbell and I couldn't find a decent looking costume anywhere. I could have made one but I really didn't have the time. So I took her with me to look. She immediately fell in love with this rainbow fairy costume. She even found it all by herself. I sort of think it looks a little like Rainbow Brite gone fairy. Anyways, she said it is her Rainbow Tinkerbell costume.
Our village had a huge Halloween party. They had native dancers, food, a puppet show (that was awesome), games, a magic show, trick or treating and a costume contest which Jaxton won. I personally take pride in that since I worked so hard on the costume. The kids had great time and so did we. My mom and Grandma were here visiting and so that was fun.
Our ward also had a small primary Halloween party. I convinced Gabby to go as Cinderella but she ended up sleeping pretty much through the whole party. Since our chapel still had water in it we had the party in the street by some of the member's homes. They did a great job putting it together. And it was fun to experience some of the Filipino culture. All and all we had a great Halloween.

Stayed tuned for TONS more pictures of my mom and Grandma's trip. I have a lot to do to get caught up.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Heather Inns said...

So cute I love the costumes. I am glad you had a fun Halloween, I just love that day. I hope all is well with y'all.

Nicole said...

Cute costumes and cute cute cute kids!!!

Heidi said...

What a clever idea to use an umbrella for bat wings! Sounds like so much fun and I can't wait for more pics!

Cher said...

What a perfect Halloween! I am always impressed by Moms that make their kids costumes. Very impressive!

Michelle said...

They look so cute and I am super impressed with the bat costume! Good job!

Rachael said...

I'm impressed with Jaxton's bat costume. Great job! What fun pictures of everyone....Rach

marilynl said...

Oh my gosh! I'm home looking at all the fun we had. I love you Jax and Gabby.

marilynl said...

Oh my gosh! I'm home looking at all the fun we had. I love you Jax and Gabby.

Dianne said...

Such cute pictures! Jaxton's bat costume is awesome and Gabby did a great job picking hers out :)

O'Keefe Family said...

I love the costumes! One of these years I might have to steal the bat idea! You guys are so cute!

Lindsay said...

I love your kid's costumes too! What a cool idea for the bat costume! He (and you) totally deserved to win the costume contest! I love Gabby as Rainbow Tinkerbell too. :)

Grow Family said...

They look super cute! I love the bat costume, you're so creative. Also, Spencer wants to know if you've seen any flying dragon lizards. He thinks they're really cool and are supposed to be common in the Phillipines.

Christina said...

That bat costume is so amazing!

triplej said...

Turned out GREAT! Loved them!

amelia and crew said...

His bat wings are so awesome!